Thursday 3 December 2015

Chesterton Cambs Images of England, by Chesterton Local History Society, ISBN 9780752418612

I'm all excited as I've just bought a book, called Chesterton (Cambs) Images of England, ISBN 9780752418612.   This book was compiled and written in 2000, so fairly new.  It is part of the Images of England series, which uses old photographs and archived images to show the history of various local areas in England, through their streets, shops, pubs, and people.

The book about Old Chesterton and New Chesterton contains over 200 old photographs of Chesterton Cambs spread over 128 pages.  I did double check as there are other villages called Chesterton in England, but it's definitely the right place, the Chesterton in Cambridgeshire.

I wonder if there'll be any of my ancestors in the photos that I'll never realise are them.  If your ancestor's a shopkeeper then you're quite likely to be able to find photos of them standing in their shop doorway.  If your ancestors were regular local dwellers, then they might just be passing, or in a crowd, and you'd just not know.

But, it'll be fascinating to see these photos of the places they'd have known, the streets as they'd seen them.

The book's available from a variety of sources, with the most obvious booksellers being ebay and Amazon - and at just a few pennies per photograph this should be invaluable for me to dip into as new information unfolds.  My ancestors were in Chesterton pre-1800, and some modern day descendants are still there!

I'll get round to writing an index to this book .... once it arrives and I set the time aside to go through the book to do that.

Book Information:

Author: Chesterton Local History Society.  Publisher: The History Press Ltd
Publication Date:  1 March 2000  Format:  Paperback
ISBN-10 0752418610
ISBN-13 9780752418612
Series Title Archive Photographs: Images of England
Weight 318 grams.  Width: 164 mm.  Height: 232 mm.  Spine: 13 mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment