Wednesday 26 August 2015

Free Weekend: Ancestry.co.uk August 2015



There's a free weekend of access to Ancestry.co.uk for the full 3-day August bank holiday weekend.  No voucher codes required.  This is great for people who haven't made any bank holiday weekend plans.  It's time to dust off that list of ancestors to research and hit it!

I am keen to try to find out more about Charles Gotobed and Mary Ann Gotobed, who spent some of their time in Cambridge and some of their time in Chesterton.  So that's what I'll be checking out this weekend!  I think I've worked out the family locations and story, so now I am at the stage of finalising that and deciding I've got it right ...(hopefully), or it needs more work (hopefully not).

Gotobed can be a tricky name to research because there are so many of them in Ely, up the road; the local coroner has the name too - and local solicitor.  So, other prominent people clutter up the results I've had in the past.  Gotobed is also often mistranscribed.  Alternative spellings include Gatabed, Gatebed, Getebed, Gobobed, Golobed, Golsbed, Gotober, Gotsbod, Gottebedde ... in fact it's endless!

I'm also missing my great-grandparents.  I know where they - and the entire family for generations up and wide - so, having just got married two years before, and having had/lost a baby the year before, where were they in 1901?  I've not found them in the indexes so far.  When you can't find people in the censuses, but are sure they must be around, the only way to try to find them is to look at every census return for the whole road/village/area yourself - in case you spot them mistranscribed or just listed as initials.

So, that's my weekend taken care of, who are you looking for?

I'll write something if I manage to find these tricky individuals!

No comments:

Post a Comment