Sunday 15 November 2015

Which is Better? Findmypast or Ancestry?

This is the question we always ask ourselves - which is better, Findmypast or Ancestry?  And the answer is not black and white.  The two sites both offer Census returns for all the Census years in the UK, but then you have to look at how you research your family tree and what records you're after.  There's also the issue of location.

It's a tough choice.  Some people will alternate their memberships, or buy a year on one and just 2-3 individual months/year on the other site, once they've got a real need for what they think they can get on the other one.

Below are my personal opinions of the two main ancestry sites in the UK:

Findmypast: 

  • Parish Records: This site has more parish records than any other site.  It's the parish records where you'll get the details of who married who, who was buried and when, who had babies baptised.  For me, this is a clear winning feature of the Findmypast site. They are working with local Family History groups to transcribe the parish records and get them online, so coverage across the UK is variable and you need to see what's available in the areas you're interested in.  
  • 1939 Register: Findmypast is the only site that has the 1939 Register.  To access the information you do need to either PAYG or be a fully paid up member of at least the UK records.  Wait for a discounted membership offer and join then to access all the details.  This has been handy for me to see the future-married-names of female members of the family in my tree!
  • British Newspapers: Findmypast has, in my opinion, the best interface for searching the British newspapers.  I've found more information from old newspapers than in the parish records and it's helped me to see inside the lives of my ancestors.  I know those who didn't send their kids to school, the ones who stole chickens and what the brides were wearing on their wedding day.  What newspapers of the day printed is invaluable detail that you won't get from other record sources.

Ancestry.co.uk


  • User Trees: Ancestry has probably the biggest collection of user trees that you can access.  If you find somebody on your tree, the chances are somebody else has them - and a quick search of the user trees will show them all.  You can't use this feature as part of a free trial though, you do need to be a paid up member. 
  • Censuses: While both sites do offer full searchable access to all the Censuses, I do find Ancestry's easier to download.


Both sites offer similar pricing models, with regular discounts and free weekends throughout the year.

For me, I'd have to say Findmypast - but this is because I limit my ancestor searching to England and I value the Parish Records and the 1939 Register.  I can get the Census returns from either site.  However, I am on the verge of also joining Ancestry as I've reached a point where I think contacting other users re their trees is about the stage I am at.

Best advice is to try to build your own tree with both sites, using a free trial, then decide which one you think offers you the best access to the most relevant records!

No comments:

Post a Comment